After a spike in pedestrian deaths last year, the City of Toronto has launched a $54-million road safety plan.
Last year, there were 43 pedestrians killed on city streets – up from 38 in 2015 – and Mayor John Tory wants that number to go down to zero.
Tory, along with Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders and Public Works and Infrastructure Committee chair Jaye Robinson, launched the Vision Zero Road Safety Plan on Tuesday.
The plan includes installing 12 new senior safety zones, implementing 76 red-light cameras, increasing pedestrian walk-times at 50 additional signalized intersections and conducting road safety audits in 14 high-risk crash areas.
“These are preventable deaths, and we’re going to take the steps necessary as a city to get that number down to zero,” Tory said on Tuesday.
The news conference was held at the intersection of Bloor Street West and Dundas Street West, the location of the first of 12 senior safety zones. The zones will have improved signage and pavement markings as well as increased pedestrian walk-times.
Tory said installing the red-light cameras is not about making money, but ensuring safety on the roads.
“The objective is to get people to slow down and drive safely in school zones, senior zones and places like that to stop this carnage that’s been happening on the roads. It’s not about the money,” he said.
Transportation Services director Myles Currie said the new red-light cameras will bring in $7 million a year.