Hotel guests were out on the street after a fire at the Fairmont Royal York hotel late on Sunday night.
A couch in a third-floor storage room caught fire around 11:45 p.m. Luckily, the heat and smoke activated the sprinkler system, and the fire was quickly extinguished.
“Damage was minimal,” Toronto fire district chief Mike Swift said.
One hotel guest got a little wet while making his escape: “The water was running out of the roof. We walked through the water to get out of there.”
Not all guests had to evacuate the building. Others stayed warm in the lobby. Everyone has been allowed back in and no injuries have been reported.
It’s not yet clear how the fire started. Only the couch was damaged.