The sexual assault trial of former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi has resumed Thursday with lawyers representing some media outlets asking for access to a bikini photo of the first complainant to testify against him.
Court heard on Day 2 of the trial that the woman sent the photo to the disgraced broadcaster 18 months after she alleged he assaulted her on two separate occasions.
The media organizations seeking access to the photo are the Toronto Star, CTV, Global TV and Postmedia.
#Ghomeshi : Justice Horkins has ruled that the photo will remain sealed, would cause real harm to complainant if released.
— marianne boucher (@CityCourtsTO) February 4, 2016
The proceedings began shortly after Ghomeshi entered the courtroom. Like he did during the first two days of his trial, he first walked over to the seats where his mother and sister are sitting and acknowledged them. Today he gave them a nod and a hint of a tiny smile.
Ghomeshi, the former host of the popular culture show “Q,” has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcome resistance by choking.
Crown prosecutors are expected to call a new witness to testify, though they have not said who it will be.
Earlier this week, the trial heard from the first of three complainants against him.
She testified that he was a charming gentleman with a dark side and attacked her in December 2002 and January 2003.
During the first incident, the woman said Ghomeshi suddenly yanked her hair while they were sharing a “sensuous” kiss. In the second incident in his home, she testified, he once again abruptly pulled her hair while they were kissing and punched her in the head.
Under intense cross-examination by Ghomeshi’s lawyer, the woman, who cannot be identified, acknowledged that she had sent two flirtatious emails to Ghomeshi long after the alleged assaults.
Those emails were brought up in court after the trial heard the woman testify that she didn’t contact Ghomeshi after the alleged assaults, save for perhaps writing him an email in anger which she may or may not have sent.
The woman told Ghomeshi’s defence lawyer that she sent the emails as “bait” to get Ghomeshi to contact her so she could demand an explanation for the alleged assaults. She also said she didn’t remember the emails when she spoke to police and to Crown prosecutors.
If convicted of sexual assault, Ghomeshi faces a maximum sentence of 18 months behind bars. The choking charge against him, however, carries a potential life sentence.