Loading articles...

Etobicoke family expected to recover after furnace leaks carbon monoxide

Last Updated Nov 25, 2015 at 8:39 am EDT

Emergency crews were called to a home on Wareside Road in Etobicoke after a furnace leaked carbon monoxide gas on Nov. 25, 2015. CITYNEWS/Bert Dandy.

An Etobicoke family in hospital after a leaky furnace filled their home with carbon monoxide gas.

Emergency crews were called to a home on Wareside Road near Renforth Drive and Rathurn Road just after 2 a.m. on Wednesday.

Police say the furnace was leaking, causing carbon monoxide levels to rise.

The father called 911. The mother and the family’s two-year-old child were unconscious when emergency crews arrived, but regained consciousness when they were taken outside. All three are expected to recover.

Police say the carbon monoxide detector had been turned off because the family thought it was defective.

Enbridge Gas told CityNews the readings inside the home were up to 900 parts per million, and that anything over 100 parts per million is considered dangerous.