A father and son are in hospital after fire gutted the first floor of a townhouse in Mississauga on Saturday morning.

It happened at a complex on Goreway Drive, south of Steeles Avenue East.

The fire started in the kitchen and quickly spread throughout the home.

Fire officials say when they arrived on scene Sheldon Moyles and his son Eric were outside the unit, which was was filled with heavy smoke and flames.

Moyles was taken to hospital for treatment of second- and third-degree burns.

“I tried to save the dog,” he explained to CityNews. “The fire spread so fast. I never knew how fast fires could spread.”

Eric was also taken to hospital with minor smoke inhalation.

“Eric and him went in the house to save the dog,” Eric’s mother Amber Ricard said. “My son had to jump out the window because he couldn’t get back down the stairs.”

Fire crews say they were able to rescue the dog from the unit.

Officials with the Mississauga fire department estimated the damage will cost about $200,000 and said the family won’t be able to move back in.