Firefighters rescued a woman trapped in a bedroom of a burning house in Newmarket Wednesday morning.

Fire crews were called to the scene on Timothy Street, near Main Street and Davis Drive, around 3 a.m. The flames erupted in a house that had been converted to apartments.

Firefighters were searching the building when they heard a woman whimpering.

“We discovered the occupant still in her apartment a little bit disoriented. We were able to remove her to the back emergency fire escape,” Captain John Hopkinson of Central York Fire Service said.

The flames were so intense firefighters’ helmets were burnt and partially melted in spots.

The woman was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and is expected to be OK.

The other residents in the building’s eight units got out safely.

There’s no word yet on a suspected cause or damage estimate.