The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation announced on Wednesday that it has suspended all negotiations with school boards until further notice.

This comes a day after unions representing York and Niagara region secondary schools turned down the latest contract offer by the province.

The union says the Ministry of Education also refused to give approval to a number of locally bargained tentative agreements, deeming them not “substantively identical.”

Two of five tentative deals between high school teachers and their school boards were approved by the Ontario government last week.

Premier McGuinty said he was hopeful his government’s approval of deals with the Upper Grand and York Region school boards would serve as a “template for other boards across the province.”

On Tuesday, Upper Grand approved their tentative deal.

A special meeting for bargaining unit leaders has been called for Dec. 3 where they will discuss their next move.

OSSTF says all other scheduled ratification votes are delayed until after Monday’s meeting with local leaders, with the exception of Hamilton-Wentworth which will take place on Friday.

- With files from The Canadian Press