One person is feared dead after a roof collapsed at a mall in the northern Ontario city of Elliot Lake on Saturday.

Two people are trapped in the rubble and nine people are missing, Ontario Provincial Police said Sunday.

“Evidence has been uncovered that leads us to suspect that there may be a casualty,” officials said in a statement.

Search and rescue teams are combing through debris for the missing. Nearly two dozen people were injured.

Earlier Sunday, OPP said the number of potential missing people was two pages long. Names continue to be crossed off that list as members of the community account for their loved ones.

A portion of the Algo Centre Mall’s roof, which serves as a parking lot, came crashing through two floors on Saturday afternoon.

“I was shocked and horrified when I heard the roof-top parking lot outside of my constituency office crashed through two floors of the shopping centre,” MPP Mike Mantha said.

“As professionals engage in a rescue efforts, I am inspired by the spirit of this community as we confront this tragedy.”

Premier Dalton McGuinty echoed those thoughts in a statement released Sunday.

“As we anxiously wait to learn more about anyone thought to be missing in Elliot Lake, our thoughts and prayers are with their families, and also with those who have been injured and indeed with the entire community,” he said.

“During a crisis like this, I am reminded of the strength and resilience of Northern Ontarians, and how by pulling together with our friends, families and neighbours, we can get through these difficult times.”

Algoma OPP Inspector Percy Jollymore urged anyone worried about missing loved ones to check in at an information centre where police are tracking those who are unaccounted for. Vicars and crisis councillors are on hand.

“We encourage people to contact that agency … so we can locate the family members that they’re trying to get a hold of, and we can shorten that list.”

Police also said 22 people were injured in the collapse, but none of them were seriously hurt.

“We are still progressing with the rescue,” said fire chief Paul Officer.

A Heavy Urban Search and Rescue team from Toronto has been sent to Elliot Lake to help and confirmed last night that at least one person was trapped in the collapse. It wasn’t immediately known if the person was pulled out.

A canine team, fire officials and paramedics are currently at the site, which could take up to 10 to 12 hours to be stabilized by a special crew, authorities said Sunday.

Thermal sensors were used by fire officials to probe the scene for survivors yesterday.

“The camera operations took place until 6 o’clock. At that point we exhausted all of our efforts to be able to discover if we had any victims that we could extract,” Officer said.

“Today the heavy urban rescue team has a plan drawn up…shoring will take place of the structure, they’re somewhat limited on what they can access but they will begin on the north side.”

Lisa Holden, a volunteer nurse with St. John Ambulance, said there have been problems with the roof for years and, in fact, part of the ceiling in the area where Saturday’s collapse happened had crumbled in February.

She also said the scene is still chaotic and police are not saying much yet.

“People are saying that they would like more information because this is a small community — Everybody is looking for someone they know,” she said.

“I have friends that are unaccounted for and I’ve been trying to get further information.”

A local state of emergency was declared soon after the cave-in which took place just before 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

The collapse exposed a tangle of twisted metal and concrete supports and triggered a gas leak which prompted emergency officials to cut power to the centre.

Elliot Lake is located about 160 kilometres west of Sudbury.

With files from