One man is dead and seven others have been injured — including a 13-year-old boy and a pregnant woman — after gunfire rang out in a jam-packed Eaton Centre food court Saturday.

A 25-year-old man was pronounced dead on scene. He had been shot, Toronto police Const. Victor Kwong said.

A 13-year-old boy was also shot, he said. The boy and another victim, a 20-year-old man, are both in critical condition in hospital. Another injured was a pregnant woman, trampled as shoppers fled the mall. She went into labour and is also now in hospital. There is no word on her condition.

“A lot of innocent people were hurt,” police chief Bill Blair said.

The shooter is still on the loose. Blair is appealing for witnesses to come forward and said a description of the suspect would be released once it’s confirmed.

The downtown destination — popular with tourists and residents, especially on Saturdays — was packed with shoppers during the 6:30 p.m. incident and was later evacuated.

“I heard a mother say, ‘My son was shot,’” a man named Sergio told CityNews.

“We were just in the food court when I heard this sound. I turned around and I saw one man firing shots…Within seconds this big guy just fell beside me. I’m not sure if he’s dead, but he fell.”

Several of the victims were rushed to St. Michael’s Hospital. The hospital, which is about 500 metres from the mall, was briefly placed in lockdown. The lockdown has since lifted.

Two women and a man are in serious condition, and another woman sustained minor injuries. They had all been shot, Kwong said.

“My heart goes out to them…I hope they pull through,” Mayor Rob Ford said outside the Eaton Centre.

“Those who were injured are particularly in Ontarians’ thoughts and prayers right now as we attempt to make sense of this instance of senseless, tragic violence in the heart of a peaceful city,” Premier Dalton McGuinty said in a statement.

“On behalf of all Ontarians, I want to express my condolences to family and friends of everyone involved in Saturday’s shooting at the Eaton Centre.”

The mall is closed to shoppers and employees until further notice, property manager Cadillac Fairview said in a statement

“Our management team is cooperating fully with the police investigation Our thoughts are with the victims and their families during this difficult time,” spokesperson Janine Ojah-Maharaj said.

CityLine’s Patrick Reynolds was inside the mall with his 13-year-old daughter at the time.

“We were locked inside the store. We were herded to the back and told to get down and turn off the lights,” he said.

“I’m used to seeing this type of thing on the streets, but in a mall? With a bunch of people? Here I am with my daughter and I’m thinking, ‘What is going on out there?’”

The TTC was initially shut down between Bloor and Union stations for the investigation, but has partially reopened. Trains are currently bypassing Queen and Dundas stations.

Both the 501 and the 505 streetcars were on diversion. They have now resumed their regular routes.

Toronto police are reviewing security video, but Kwong said that could take some time due to the large size of the mall.

The fatal shooting happened just blocks from the infamous Boxing Day shooting of 2005. Jane Creba, 15, was killed outside the Foot Locker on Dec. 26, 2005. She had been shopping with her family. Six bystanders were also wounded.