Tori Stafford’s mother, Tara McDonald, testified on Day 3 of Michael Rafferty’s murder trial Wednesday.

Rafferty, 31, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder, kidnapping and sexual assault causing bodily harm after Stafford’s remains were found three months after she disappeared.

Before testifying, McDonald told CityNews she was “nervous,” and she appeared to be struggling to maintain her composure as she walked towards the stand.

She told the court she had met Rafferty’s former girlfriend Terri-Lynne McClintic twice before Tori disappeared. Both times she went to McClintic’s home to purchase Oxycontin pain killers from McClintic’s mother.

They also briefly planned to breed dogs together.

McClintic pleaded guilty to Stafford’s first-degree murder in 2010 and is currently serving a life sentence. She is scheduled to begin testimony Thursday.

McDonald said McClintic never came to her home and never had contact with her children leading up to Tori’s disappearance. She also said she wasn’t able to identify her when initially shown the videotape of McClintic walking with Tori at her school.

McDonald went on to tell the court about her struggles with pain killers, which became a daily habit after Tori went missing. She has since stopped using, she testified.

McDonald fought tears when describing her last morning with Tori.

“She was in a surprisingly good mood,” she said. “…we laid out her outfit the night before. I let her wear one of my headbands and a pair of earrings.”

When she didn’t return home from school that night, McDonald never assumed something so sinister had taken place.

“We just figured she was out playing somewhere and forgot to call,” she said.

Earlier Wednesday, OPP Const. Gary Scoyne testified about the massive scale of the probe into Stafford’s murder.

Scoyne was the lead forensic identification constable for the investigation.

Rafferty took off his glasses and appeared nervous while Scoyne’s qualifications were read before the court.

Despite attending more than 3,800 crime scenes over the course of his 23 years as a forensic officer, Scoyne told the jury this was the biggest case he was involved in, with a mountain of evidence.

More than 4,500 photographs were taken, and 1,110 items seized during the “massive” investigation.

Stafford was in Grade 3 when she disappeared on April 8, 2009, while leaving her Woodstock elementary school.

Her partially-clothed remains were found about 100 kilometres away, in Mount Forest, three months later.